FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 12/7/2022
3BAR BIOLOGICS® AWARDED EXCLUSIVE $650,000 PHASE 2 SBIR
(COLUMBUS, Ohio) 3Bar Biologics – the only recipient in the Plant Production and Protection category – has been awarded a 2-year SBIR grant worth $650,000. The focus of the grant is to advance commercialization efforts to combat Crazy Root disease with a microbial solution utilizing just-in-time fermentation.
Crazy Root disease (Agrobacterium rhizogenes; CR) has recently been recognized as an emerging disease, particularly in greenhouse hydroponic tomato production. Yet, there is currently no commercial product for control of CR disease.
The Ohio State University has identified several Pseudomonas strains capable of CR disease control. Using target Pseudomonas spp. strains and 3Bar’s beneficial microbe delivery system, the Phase II objectives for achieving commercialization include the following:
- Confirm yields and stability under longer term/broader range of conditions
- Scale-up freeze-drying and biomanufacturing process for production
- Determine application rate, timing, and frequency for CR disease control product label and use instructions
- Demonstrate consistent efficacy of CR disease control in pilot and commercial hydroponics systems to support product registrations.
- Expand research to demonstrate potential use on additional hydroponic vegetable crops and against common fungal/oomycete root rot diseases.
A portion of the work will be performed at Dr. Christopher Taylor’s lab at Ohio State University.
“Use of biocontrol in greenhouses continues to increase; however, a significant problem in the expanding biologicals market is inconsistent performance of biological products. Utilizing 3Bar’s novel technology will significantly increase our chances of success.”, said Christopher Taylor, Ohio State University Associate Professor of Molecular Genetics and Nematology.
“Partnering with a renowned land-grant institution like Ohio State significantly increases the confidence we will find a strain that can combat this emerging disease and more diseases affecting controlled environment growers.” said Bruce Caldwell, CEO of 3Bar Biologics.
3Bar Biologics is the global leader in customized delivery technologies for living microbe products. Delivering on their promise of stable, viable, fresh and pure microbe products for commercial agriculture, 3Bar partners with innovative companies to formulate the highest quality and most cost-effective microbe solutions. For more information, visit https://www.3barbiologics.com/.